Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Haiti

     I spent five days in third world Haiti during November. I went with Believe in Haiti, a non-profit organization based in Denver as their videographer. It was a dream come true to be doing my two favorite things: traveling and making videos. Haiti was my first out-of-country experience and super dreamy. Being the most impoverished country in the western hemisphere, most people live on less than $1.25 a day. Seeing the poverty first hand, but also experiencing the happiness the people still find was really cool.

     Here is my personal video I made of the trip. View the rest of my videos at www.believehaiti.org under the "Videos" tab.






     We spent most of our time on the mountain with the people of St. Rock. We saw their simple homes, where they get water, and how they live life day-to-day. One day, we were the guests of honor at a feast. The main dish was a goat killed off the side of the road, with sides of fried plantains, lettuce, and tomatoes. The goat was surprisingly not disgusting, but I was not feeling to good for the rest of the trip. Pretty wild experience, definitely something I will never forget. 



The meal of a lifetime



     The country is beautiful. Up on the mountain it was lush forest jungle that was so green and tropical. I loved hanging out with the kids. Basically the only words I knew were "Bonswa" (Good morning) and "Kouman ou rele" (What is your name), so after those formalities were done with, we would play a game, or they would laugh at my freckles and extremely pale legs.




A pig! And me! Some Haitian homies did my hair earlier in the day.

     Our last day in Haiti I wasn't feeling too hot. I ended up super nauseous and totally passed out while visiting a local hospital. Yikes! We made it home and I spent the rest of the week in bed. Haiti was incredible! Loved every minute and so grateful I had the opportunity to spend some time there learning so much.